Friday, July 18, 2008

Journal Entry Three


I awaited for Fargoth to exit his home in the dead
of night. The sounds of the Bitter Coast were my
serenade of solitude, the smells of rotting vegetation and salted winds coming in on the updraft, reminded me of the own decay that I felt in my soul.












Within three hours into my stakeout, a downpour began. Cleansing the land and my mind. I admit, I have a fondness for the rain that most don't seem to share. Especially thunderstorms.














The gods had put me into a favorable environment this evening then, as with the next few flashes of lightning, I saw a creeping figure emerging from Fargoth's house.



I watched from the shadows for a few moments as I traced the Bosmer shadow to his hiding hole. A dead tree stump in the middle of a bog pit, located in the center of a collection of shacks.





I leaped from a ledge on the side of the lighthouse to a tree branch. It shifted under my weight for a moment, bobbing up and down like a leaf in the autumn breeze. I took the final leap
and landed to the wet earth silently. Approaching the stump as swiftly and silently as he, I felt around in the wood for evidence of a stash.


I was rewarded with a leather sack filled with gold, a pick of average quality, and the ring I had returned to Fargoth.



"Ha ha ha." Hrisskar bellowed. "I do so love messing around with the little guy. I'll make sure that fetcher pays for lying to me. Here. One hundred, that's you're cut. You can keep anythin' else you found in there."


It was the next morning, and I had slept in the basement of the Census and Excise warehouse after my little assist for the local authorities. I knew that soon it would be time to make tracks to Balmora, or Cyrodiil. I hadn't even read my orders yet, though they could tell me more of the reason why I was here, I was more preoccupied with how I get back there. So far I had made some decent money out here in the boonies, although most of it would likely be spent just getting back home. I needed more. Traveling across hundreds of miles of wilderness with dead insects for weapons and armor didn't sound like the safest trip to me. I wanted to see my sister alive, not at my memorial.

A local woman by the name of Eldafire, was having a conversation with Arrille. Being Altmer, they had opinions on everything, especially on the local government and the way it should be run. For example, one of the things they would do, would be to dispatch the guard to the local smuggling hole, Addamasartus, and bring some needed order to this watering hole. Or hire some adventurer to do it, they had the rights of salvage as it were. Sure, they would go up against some rough odds, but what's life without risk?

My ears pricked up at the notion. Kill folks like me for their stash. And again, all legal. I questioned Hrisskar about it, he confirmed the conversation. Vvardenfell was still too wild for the legion to go sticking its nose into every nook and cranny, so Adventurers were given the right to, and were allowed to profit off of the smugglers, with the exception of dwarven artifacts. But. He'd never heard of anyone pinched for trying to sell off one.

So I decided to poke my nose into the hole. It wasn't far from the silt strider port. The guards really didn't care. I slowly slipped into the cavern. Immediately I was in a chamber with flickering torchlight, and gazed down to a dunmer woman standing guard over a campfire.














She never heard it coming. The whisper-wind of my bow ended her life in a heartbeat. Rummaging through her corpse I came up with a new pair of netch leather boots, some gold, and a key.






The next two bandits met a similar fate as the first, and the cave was cleared. I was able to fill out my armor from the loot, make a few extra coin. As well as a few valuable scrolls and potions, I also came up with some highly illegal, yet highly valuable moon sugar and skooma.

In the fields of Elsweyr, homeland of the Khajiit, grows a plant that produces the moon sugar, that the locals use as a narcotic, skooma is a more potent, and therefore more valuable, derivative produced from the sugar. Problem was, very few traders would even consider in dealing with it. But there isn't a khajiit in the world that would refuse it.



I sold what I could to Arrille, making a couple hundred more drakes, and began to plan out the next phase of my journey. As I wasn't in the immediate vicinity of a Khajiit trader, it was time to make tracks for Balmora, which Elone had described as a rich trading center situated on the Odai River.

I decided to take the scenic route and would end up in Pelagiad if everything went to plan. Before departing I finally opened the orders given to me by Captain Gravius.

Sethyas Velas,


You have been given these directions and a package of documents. Do not show them to anyone. Do not attempt to read the documents in the package. The package has been sealed, and your tampering will be discovered and punished.

Follow these directions.

Proceed to the town of Balmora in Vvardenfell District. Report to a man named Caius Cosades. He will be your superior and patron; you will follow his orders. His residence is not known, but ask at the cornerclub called "South Wall". People there will know where to find Caius Cosades. When you report to Caius Cosades, deliver the package of documents to him, and wait for further orders.

Remember. You owe your life and freedom to the Emperor. Serve him well, and you will be rewarded. Betray him, and you will suffer the fate of all traitors.


I have the Honor to prepare this at the direction of his Most Sovereign Majesty the Emperor Uriel Septim,

Glabrio Bellienus
Personal Secretary to the Emperor

Great. Now I'm on some secret mission for the Emperor, and I have a boss to boot. The hand of the Emperor is far-reaching and ruthless in its grasp, I would comply, for now.

1 comment:

minque said...

This is pure awesome. I mean it, I really do. The way you make the inhabitants of Seyda Neen so vivid by letting them have conversations with each other and with Seth...

Oh talking about Seth...the pictures are...yummy!

I will pop in here frequently to follow this, trust me I will...